Monday, June 28, 2010

"Just because it fits doesn't mean you ought to wear it." -Momma

I don't care who you ask or what they tell you, being Southern is a birthright. When someone tells me. "Well, I wasn't born in the South, but I got here as fast as I could." I simply smile at them and say, "Then darlin', you ain't Southern."
Of course, I really draw on my words and say 'ain't' when I make that statement, which isn't how I typically speak, but sometimes you just have to get your point across.
It has recently occurred to me that while life in the South has progressed just as much as it has else where across the Mason-Dixon line, some people, notice I didn't call y'all Yankees, still think that we ride our horses to work and name all of our sons Junior. It just isn't so, and I aim to clear up some of the mystery that causes this confusion. So go on and pour yourself a glass of sweet tea, have a seat on the front porch, and allow me to share with you just what it means to be a Southern lady in these modern times.

1 comment:

bizkitswifey said...

Everyone here in Maine keeps trying to tell me that since Ive been here for about 6 years that Im now a Mainer in turn making me a Yankee- and I just sweetly smile and say "No hunny- Ill be a Southerner till the day I die"