Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Weddings, funerals. amd sickness mean somebody needs a home cooked meal. Just make sure you write your name on the bottom of your casserole dish."

I don't have the slightest clue as to how things work up North as I have never lived there and never plan to, but I do know a few Southern girls that have found themselves transplanted under the big city lights. From what I've been told, you don't know who your neighbors are and people aren't exactly friendly.
I can recall one phone call in particular from a girlfriend that lives in New York that just about breaks my heart.
Melinda rang me up one night and when I answered the phone she was just about in tears.
"What's the matter, doll?"
"My neighbors are just awful! I made a plate of cookies and went up the hall to introduce myself to everyone. I got two doors slammed in my face, one man accused me of trying to solicit him, and everyone else threatened to call the police on me!"

Y'all I was just floored by this. Since when does anyone turn away their neighbor or home-made cookies? I can only conclude that they missed out on some valuable home training, because nothing else makes sense in this case.
Around here, your neighbors are your allies. You might not always like them, you might not agree with their political views, and you might not go to the same church, but you had better believe that when push comes to shove and you need two eggs and a half cup of sugar to finish cupcakes for the bake sale, that your neighbor is going to be more than happy to help you out.
Why do we behave so, you ask? It's simple, momma taught us that it is right to be friendly and give when needed.
For those of you that didn't learn that, I'm going to break it down for you, real nice and pretty like.
When someone needs reassurance that everything is going to be okay and life will go on, you reassure them. When someone is sick and needs a hand keeping up with their yard or picking their kids up from school, you do it for them. When someone has lost a loved one and needs solace, you extend your sympathy and drop off a casserole.
It's the basic principle behind being Southern, a chain of action if you will. You do for someone when they need it, and you had better believe that when your time comes they will be right there to return the favor.
If everyone is good to everyone then things can't help but be a little better, now can they?

1 comment:

bizkitswifey said...

My life makes sense now :-) I now know how to explain my temper to everyone :-)