Wednesday, October 20, 2010

To Be Happy.

Picture it:
             A normal day. Darling Hubby is off to work. I am left to my own devices.
Thirty seconds later.
               I have run out of said devices.
                         Now, I am bored.
  I pitter patter around the apartment.
 Our dog, Vladimir, is watching me with vague amusement.
       A list runs through my head of tasks yet to be accomplished.
  • Wash clothes.
  • Do dishes.
  • Write a book.
  • Make bed.
  • Save the world.
  • Go to the gym.
This list proves to be too daunting so, I slump down on the couch in defeat.
      I stare at the wall.
          Blank. Boring. Undecorated. Wall.           
 When a crafty, artsy idea in all its do-it-yourself glory pops into my head.
                 And that, my loves, is when all the trouble began.           
You see, I have a wild obsession with the sticky wall art fad.
 (Don't scoff at me, I can't help it.)
I troll the web to see what I could possibly fill the space with and I find these lovely trees...



Like I said, lovely, lovely trees.
But...they cost $75.00 and $200.00, respectively.
        Look, I loved Lisa Frank stickers as much as any girl, but as a grown girl, there is nooo way that I would ever spend that much for a darn sticker.
        No. Darn. Way.
     Fear not, for I found a way to beat the system!
 That's right, I am making my very own tree for under 15 dollars.

       Here's how:
  • one roll of black con-tact paper-$6
  • one exacto knife-$5
  • this handy video from Thread Banger.

Let me just say, Thread Banger makes it look super simple, and I'm sure it is...if you are doing a small project.  I, on the other hand, am free handing it, and also working towards making something quite large.
Day One:
                                           
   Darling Hubby came home and inspected it.
   Me: It almost looks like I just painted the wall.
Him: Indeed it does.
  Me: What would you do if I did paint it?
Him: Paint over it when we move.
  Darling Hubby walks away. Seconds later from the bedroom, a voice emerges...
Him: That doesn't mean that you allowed to paint them!

Giggles. He is adorable.

Till Then...

No comments: